If you can already locate the NYC grid map, just by looking at the picture above, you already know whats about to go down in the kitchen! Watch out 53rd and 6th this chicken and rice is BANGIN! I cant even describe to you how PERFECT this turned out, from the creamy tangy white sauce to the perfect flavorful moist chicken to the fiery kick from the red sauce to top it all off!
If you haven’t been to be 53rd & 6th aka Halal guys chicken and rice kart, than your pretty much missing out on life. Now to be completely honest with you, this meal is usually consumed after a long night of drinking and dancing away in NYC, but in all fairness this does taste pretty dam good weather you are sober or not.
Also who wants to wait in those long lines when you can just make the same thing at home, I promise you not only will this be faster than waiting in the lines, but it taste EXACTLY the same! My husband who is extremely picky when it comes to copy cat recipes of any sort whether its restaurants or even my moms cooking, he will tell you if its THE REAL DEAL!
Defiantly try this recipe out and let me know your thoughts, I’m pretty sure you’ll love it.
Check out my helpful suggestions (below) on how to make this day ahead and healthier subs for the some of the ingredients.
Halal Guys – Chicken and Rice
- ½ cup yogurt regular or greek
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp vinegar distilled is fine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp salt and pepper
- ½ tsp dried or fresh parsley
Red hot sauce
- 1 small tomato roughly chopped
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 chicken breast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp adobe seasoning
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 cups chicken/ veggie stock or water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Mix everything in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
Red hot sauce
- Put all ingredients in blender, blend together until smooth paste
Chicken & Rice
- In a medium bowl or glass tupper wear with lid, mix all the seasonings for the chicken marinate – olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic (minced), dried parsley, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander powder and adobe seasoning. Place your chicken in this marinate, and coat both sides. Let this marinate for at least 30 mins or best over night!
- While the chicken is marinating you can make the rice. In a medium size pot with lid, melt the butter. Once butter is melted your going to add the rice and let that toast for 2-3 mins, stirring continuously. Add the spices to the rice, mix well and add the water or broth of choice. Give it one final stir and bring to boil, lower the heat, place the lid and let this cook for 15- 20 mins.
- Make both of the sauces while the rice is cooking and chicken is marinating. If you already have done this the day or night before skip this and move to step 4.
- While your waiting for your skillet to heat up, take the chicken out of the fridge for at least 10 mins before cooking, bringing it to room temperature helps to cook the chicken evenly.
- In a large skillet on med-high heat place 1 tbsp of oil and place the chicken, you will hear a nice sizzling sounds which insures you the temperature is perfect. If you don’t hear the sizzle let the oil heat up a little bit more. Cook both front and back side of the chicken for 5mins each. (total 10 mins) Once the chicken is cooked, turn off heat and cover with lid.
- Heat up your naan with a little bit of butter and chop up your lettuce and tomatoes.(Optional)
- Chop your chicken up into bite sized pieces just like how you get at the karts and its ready to be severed!
- Of course I went the extra mile and served this in same aluminum tin container like you would get at the karts. I put the rice, chicken,naan, lettuce tomatoes and course drizzled the white sauce. I generally love this dish with the meat and rice drenched in the white and red sauce but for the sake of having a presentable picture I had to limit my self on the sauces.
- Don’t worry after the pictures were taken my husband and I drenched our chicken in the sauces and devoured this in minutes.
- Marinating the chicken overnight will give you the ultimate results! Trust me guys this will be SO worth it and will make you life a bit easier.
- Making the two sauces day before will also be well worth it, all the flavors will marinate and taste SO SOOO much better.
- If you want to be slight healthy when it comes to the white sauce, you can lite mayo, instead of regular, but what ever you do, DO NOT USE fat free, the consistently is very different and will not taste the same.
- I used chicken breast in this dish only because its just a bit cleaner and healthier, you can use chicken thighs which also work well too.
- Try to use jasmine or basmati rice, brown rice or other subs will not work as well and give you a gritty texture over all.
- You can cook the rice in water but adding veggie or chicken broth just takes to another level, and you want to add as much flavor as you can to this rice!
- I used stone fire naan in this dish and also chopped up come romaine lettuce and tomatoes for that authentic kart taste.